Two die in Loudon County wreck

16-year-old student, mother of three killed in crash near Loudon

A 16-year-old Loudon High School student and a 42-year-old mother of three died Friday in a head-on collision in Loudon County.

Christopher Webb, 16, of Loudon, and Sheila Everett, 42, also of Loudon, died in the 8:17 a.m. crash on Maple Hill Road near the town of Loudon, said Tennessee Highway Patrol Trooper S.F. Holcomb.

Holcomb said Everett was driving a 2002 Chevrolet Impala eastbound on Maple Hill when the collision occurred. Holcomb said his preliminary investigation showed Everett had just left her children at school and was returning home when the crash occurred.

Everett, who was employed as a secretary at a machinery business, died at the scene and had to be freed from the wreckage. Everett, Holcomb said, was not using a seat belt.

Webb was a passenger in a 2003 Dodge Ram heading west on Maple Hill Road. He and two other teens in the truck were en route to Loudon High School when the vehicles collided, Holcomb said. Webb was not using a seat belt.

Holcomb said the wreck occurred on a slight curve when the Ram crossed over the centerline into oncoming traffic. The trooper said he didn't know why the truck moved out of its lane, but the investigation was continuing.

Holcomb said the truck was driven by 17-year-old Cody Craig of Loudon. Craig was not using a seat belt and was ejected 20 to 30 feet from the wreckage, the trooper said.

A second truck passenger, Mark Oswalt, 16, also of Loudon, also was not using a seat belt and was ejected from the vehicle, Holcomb said. Oswalt was not thrown far from the truck.

Oswalt and Craig were conscious at the scene and spoke to Holcomb. Oswalt called his mother from the scene and told her about the wreck, the trooper said. She came to the scene and alerted relatives of the other teens of the crash.

Holcomb said flames erupted for a short time from the truck, but a female who came upon the wreck was able to help Oswalt get away from the wreckage.

The trooper said Oswalt and Craig were taken to the University of Tennessee Medical Center by Lifestar helicopter. Oswalt was listed in guarded condition. No information was available on Craig's condition.

Holcomb said charges are pending the outcome of the probe.