· Do you like good fresh pork, ham, sausage or pork chops? If so, here's your opportunity!
· Loudon County 4-H members have 40 show pigs for sale this year. The pigs range in size from 150 to 325 pounds.
· The final show will be on Jan. 18th. The pigs will go to slaughter on Jan. 24th.
· The kid's bought most of the show pigs from breeders in Indiana in October. The pigs have been on full feed since then. So they should yield top quality pork.
· A 250 pound pig will give you about 175 pounds of meat. We have most of the pigs processed at Morgan's in Madisonville.
· Here's the price breakdown for an average 250 pound pig:
250 lb. X $2.00=$500 (This is what the 4-Her receives)
Roughly $100 +/- processing fee (This is what Morgan's charges, based on weight)($30 head plus $.40/lb. Dressed wt.=Avg. 74% of live weight)
Total: $600 for an average 250 pound pig.
Smaller pigs would cost less and larger pigs would be more.
· If you are interested in purchasing 1/2 or a whole hog, contact me at 458-5612 (office) or 250-8312 (cell).
John J. Goddard
Loudon County Extension