Lenoir City fireworks store has advice on staying safe this Fourth of July
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT) -- After a 12 year old Nashville boy died while playing with fireworks, a Lenoir City fireworks store is reminding people to be careful this Fourth of July.

Police say that a Nashville boy, 12 year-old Antonio Braden, died shortly after a broken firework he was holding was lit and exploded improperly.

At Dixie Lee Fireworks in Lenoir City, store co-owner Dottie Sharp explained that fireworks need to be used cautiously, and users need to heed the warning labels.

"That's the most important thing. Every firework has an instruction label on how to shoot it properly, when to shoot it, and under what conditions," Sharp explained.

Sharp also said that if you have any fireworks that appear to be damaged in any way, do not use them because it could cause them to malfunction and explode improperly. She said to check for things like broken packaging, broken platforms or bases, or broken sticks. She also explained that if a firework gets wet, that's another instance where it shouldn't be used.

For safety tips from The National Council on Fireworks Safety, click to the link attached to this article.