Greenback School Evacuated
Gas Leak Found

On Thursday, November 29, Greenback School was temporally evacuated when a natural gas leak was found. A worker had disconnected a gas line from one of the buildings window heaters. The line was capped with duct tape instead of gas tight as specified in the Nation Fuel Gas Code. Over time the tape cracked due to weather and began to leak. LP gas being heavier than air settle in the old abandoned boiler room below and began to be drawn up into classrooms above through penetrations in the floor. Fortunately,  firefighters were on duty to evacuate the children and ventilate the building. No injuries were reported.