Accident victim still in hospital

Vicky Newman-News-Herald

A Loudon County man remains hospitalized in the critical care unit at Parkwest Medical Center after an accident that nearly claimed his life, and a Philadelphia woman faces charges of DUI and vehicular assault.

Michael Moore, 48, of Ten-Mile community and an employee at Tate and Lyle, was riding his motorcycle across Loudon bridge, southbound, Sept. 29, when he was struck from behind by a vehicle driven by Patricia Angela Coker, 51, of 110 Sunny Side, Philadelphia, also traveling southbound. The accident happened about 4:30 p.m. 

Loudon Police Officer Bill Evans, who worked the accident, said Moore was slowing as he approached the Mulberry/Grove Street intersection. "He wasn't stopped, but he was slowing down coming off the bridge. In my estimation, she (Coker) was going around 60 miles an hour when she ran over him. "

Moore, severely injured, was taken by ambulance to Loudon High School, where the Life Star helicopter picked him up to take him to the Parkwest trauma unit with multiple bone fractures, subdural hematoma and a perforated lung from broken ribs.

Family members could hardly believe when they heard what had happened.

"He had been fighting cancer a year, and was just getting his life back," said Brittney Lewis, Moore's daughter.

Lewis said Moore had been diagnosed October 2010 with colon cancer, and had been undergoing radiation and chemotherapy, which he received through a port 24 hours a day and seven days a week for a year.

"The Friday before the wreck, he had his last radiation treatment," Lewis said. "The Monday before, he had finished chemo and they took his pump off. It's been quite a year. When the cancer came, it was such a shock. He had been so healthy. He had just got married May 1 and started back to work and got back to his life. He was so excited to get his life back in order."

Lewis said the fact that Moore is still alive is a miracle, and the family is looking at months or years before he recovers again. He remains in CCU, and doctors say he will need rehab if he recovers.

"The doctors didn't think he would make it this far, but he is a strong person - a living miracle," Lewis said. "It is very hard to see him, he's had such a hard time. He has kids and grandkids waiting for him to come home," she said.

The Life Star transport bill was more than $6,000, and friends of the family hope to raise enough money to help the family pay the bill. A yard sale will be conducted Saturday at 9 a.m. at Loudon Auto Sales on Mulberry St. All sales will go to a fund for Moore. Donations of items for sale or money are welcome. For more information, call Anna Beasley at 804-6990, Or call Lewis at 308-1981.