4 County Chase

Georgia man leads troopers on four-county chase into Knoxville

Don Jacobs knoxnews.com

KNOXVILLE Authorities this morning arrested a Georgia man after a 45-mile-long chase through four counties at speeds in excess of 100 mph. The chase that began about 2:26 a.m. in the northern portion of McMinn County on Interstate 75 ended 35 minutes later at the Papermill Road interchange in Knoxville on Interstate 40, according to Dalya Qualls, spokeswoman for the Tennessee Highway Patrol.

No officers were injured during the chase that ended with the arrest of Ryan M. Grim, 30, of Roswell, Ga., on charges of fourth offense of drunken driving, evading arrest, reckless driving, reckless endangerment and felony evading, Qualls said. More charges are pending.

The chase was prompted by a phone call at 2:14 a.m. to the Chattanooga District of the Tennessee Highway Patrol of a reckless driver on northbound I-75, Qualls said.

Twelve minutes later, Trooper Kyle Millsaps saw the 2006 Toyota Camry and tried to stop it at the 56-mile marker. The Camry driver, however, sped up to speeds in excess of 100 mph, Qualls said,

In Loudon County, a second Highway Patrol trooper from the Fall Branch District joined the chase as a secondary unit, Qualls said.

Loudon County sheriff's officers near exit 72 deployed spike strips that deflated the right tires on the fleeing Camry, Qualls said.

"The suspect began to slow to 60 mph, slamming on his brakes and speeding up again," Qualls said. During one of those maneuvers, the Camry sideswiped Millsaps' cruiser near the 74-mile marker, but Millsaps was able to continue the pursuit.

Loudon County sheriff's officers deployed a second spike strip near the 79-mile marker, deflating the left front tire of the Camry, which now had one good tire.

At 3:01 a.m., the Camry came to a stop at the Papermill Road interchange. Grim was arrested without incident, Qualls said.

Authorities initially took Grim to the Knox County Sheriff's Detention Facility, but he later was taken by ambulance to the University of Tennessee Medical Center with an undisclosed ailment.

Grim's condition was not immediately available this morning.